Discussion 1
Hello all,
In this post I will be discussing our discussion in class on 1/31/19. The reading and discussion in class today were particularly interesting as we were able to define what assimilation is and what it means to the members of our group. I like how we touched on the pros and cons to assimilation. How it can be good thing to complete engulf and assimilate into a different culture but also how too much assimilation can not have a good impact on retaining your own culture and identity. I also liked how we touched up on the point of how some people from different backgrounds are judged and contradicted due to the fact that they do not wish to do participate in too much assimilation. This was seen as the guy in the video made a wide contradiction towards Hispanic and Latinx parents as they choose not to assimilate as much and prefer to stick to their own cultural and linguistic preferences in dealing with their kids. This is a key point to touch on,as we did, due to the fact that when we put these parents under the spotlight for their lack of assimilation, we ourselves as indeed portraying a lack of assimilation. That is because when these kids who carry unique foreign backgrounds will have nothing to tell of it because they have assimilated and engulfed completely into the American Culture. Therefore, what will be left of their Spanish heritage for our assimilation? This question comes to the conclusion of my discussion as I emphasize the importance of assimilation as well of the importance as retaining your own identity because it is very valuable and authentic and you should share it with the world and be proud of it.
In this post I will be discussing our discussion in class on 1/31/19. The reading and discussion in class today were particularly interesting as we were able to define what assimilation is and what it means to the members of our group. I like how we touched on the pros and cons to assimilation. How it can be good thing to complete engulf and assimilate into a different culture but also how too much assimilation can not have a good impact on retaining your own culture and identity. I also liked how we touched up on the point of how some people from different backgrounds are judged and contradicted due to the fact that they do not wish to do participate in too much assimilation. This was seen as the guy in the video made a wide contradiction towards Hispanic and Latinx parents as they choose not to assimilate as much and prefer to stick to their own cultural and linguistic preferences in dealing with their kids. This is a key point to touch on,as we did, due to the fact that when we put these parents under the spotlight for their lack of assimilation, we ourselves as indeed portraying a lack of assimilation. That is because when these kids who carry unique foreign backgrounds will have nothing to tell of it because they have assimilated and engulfed completely into the American Culture. Therefore, what will be left of their Spanish heritage for our assimilation? This question comes to the conclusion of my discussion as I emphasize the importance of assimilation as well of the importance as retaining your own identity because it is very valuable and authentic and you should share it with the world and be proud of it.
Hi Youssef,
ReplyDeleteGreat first post, very clean and to the point. I like how you explicitly say you will connect class discussion to the reading. I'd like to see you engage more with the assigned course material, try using some of our CLOSE-UP questions to help open up your process.